A bowl of pasta with a tasty sauce is the ultimate comfort food and perfect quick meal! Although you can buy jars of pasta sauce, you will find this home made sauce so much tastier! The good news is that making your own sauce is cheaper and more nutritious as it doesn’t contain sugar. If you are wanting a healthy meal, use wholewheat pasta as it contains more protein and fibre and serve it with a crispy green salad too.
The good news is that you can make pasta sauce in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days or freeze it for up to one month. If you have any sauce leftover, it tastes great with jacket potato, mixed into scrambled eggs, or added to soup or gravy.
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2x 450g chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the chopped onions and cook gently on a low heat for five minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the garlic and tomato purée to the cooked onions. Simmer very gently for two minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and oregano. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer gently for 20 mins.
Add some flavor
Once you have the basic pasta sauce, you can add some great other flavours. Add 450g of browned chicken or beef mince at stage three with the tomatoes and oregano to make a Bolognese sauce. Crisply cooked pieces of bacon or fried slices of mushrooms or courgettes, can be added to the sauce with the tomatoes and oregano.