Quick to make and tasty to eat, French Toast (also known as ‘Eggy Bread’, Gypsy Bread and Poor Knights of Windsor) is the perfect breakfast accompaniment to French press coffee. French Toast is made using store cupboard ingredients so can be enjoyed at any time of day, making it the ideal comfort food too!
French Toast can be made to suit you! The bread you use can be any type, ranging from slices of white or brown bread from a sandwich loaf, slices from a French Baguette (how authentic is that!), sour dough bread or gluten free loaf. If you bread is slightly stale – no problem!
The milk you use in the recipe can be either full-fat milk, semi-skimmed or plant-based such as almond or oat milk. Coconut milk gives a slightly different flavor to French Toast. If you have a little heavy cream left in the fridge, this works well too!
French Toast can be served on its own, but really benefits from the addition of a spoonful of honey or maple syrup, a handful of blueberries, or a couple of rashers of sizzling bacon. French Toast is enjoyed by all ages and makes the perfect finger food for a hungry toddler.
Before you start making your French Toast you will need a large shallow dish frying pan and whisk/ fork. You can adapt the number of ingredients to suit the number of people you are feeding!
How to make French toast?
- 4 large slices of bread (such as a sandwich loaf)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teacup of milk
- A teaspoon of cinnamon (or vanilla extract)
- Teaspoon of salt
- Butter for frying
1. In a large shallow dish, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon together.
2. Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture on one side and then turn the bread over so that it is totally covered with the egg mixture. Do this quickly as some types of bread can turn soggy.
3. Cook the slices of bread in a large frying pan with a little melted butter for 2-3 minutes until it is golden brown. Turn the bread over and fry on the second side for about the same amount of time.
4. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven (150ºC) for up to 30 minutes.
Ready for some scrumptious breakfast? We are!